Friday, February 22, 2013
Here are upcoming special events at the Hood River Library, in addition to the weekly StoryTime program for young children — highlighted on page A1.
n Family Movie Night on Saturdays, including “Babe” on Feb. 23 and “The Secret of Arriety” on March 2. Films start at 5:30 p.m. Pretzels and apples are served and one copy of the featured book will be given away at each movie.
n Tintin Trivia event, March 8, 4:30-6 p.m., for older elementary kids and teens.
n Shakespeare Week starting April 23: This program is in the planning, and will be geared for elementary-age children. Children’s librarian Jana Hannigan said birthday cake will be served, and new Shakespeare materials have been ordered. The movie “Gnomeo and Juliet” will be shown, and a small stage will be created for some simple theater activities, among other events.
n April 19 — Teen Movie Club: Read any Harry Potter book and vote on which movie to watch. (HP4 and HP7 are rated PG-13; the others are PG.) Pick up a ballot at the library.
n Summer Reading starts Wednesday evenings — a new day and time — after summer vacation begins.
“We’ll have some amazing performers, and on a different day and different time so working parents can participate,” Hannigan said. “In the past it was right in middle of afternoon, and we had parents tell us, ‘That’s not a great time for us because our toddlers are always sleeping.’
“So we’re trying to make it a family evening, where people can come down and see some uplifting arts performers, enjoy the evening, maybe get some dinner, and hang out in the library.”
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 30
- Vital Content: The Web would be sparse landscape without newspapers
- Love Your Columbia In CL, tribal leaders lead salmon viewing Oct. 8
- Warm Springs tribe member describes Dakota pipeline experiences Oct. 4 at RCC
- Church Notes: ‘Die Wise’ book program starts Sunday at Riverside
- Ribbon cutting at Museum
- Mediation training at Six Rivers starts Oct. 6
- May Street celebrates Walk/Bike to School Day
- Food insecurity: 'Harvesting’ art exhibit, meal and public conversation in downtown HR Oct. 7
- 12th Street opens
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge