Friday, February 22, 2013
Hood River Valley Swim Team took five of its members to the 2013 Oregon 10-and-under State Championships, held last weekend at Springfield’s Willamalane Park Swim Center. Highlighting the weekend of racing were top-five finishes from Emilio Castaneda in three events and Shea Kasenga and Thea Smith in one event each. For Castaneda, four of the six events he swam in were fast enough times to qualify for the regional swim meet next month in Federal Way, Wash. Kasenga’s 25-meter breaststroke time of 20.37 was good enough for second place in the state and a new HRVST record for the age group and event (formerly held by Aven Pendleton since 1991).
The team moves on this weekend to the next age-group state meet; the 11-14 championships in Corvallis.
Sarah Arpag, 9: 50 breast, 12th; 100 fly, 17th; 100 IM, 19th; 50 free, 11th; 100 breast, 23rd; 100 free, 11th
Emilio Castaneda, 10: 200 free, 4th; 100 fly, 3rd; 200 IM, 2nd; 50 free, 7th; 50 fly, 11th; 100 free, 9th
Dacia Kasenga, 10: 5o breast, 14th; 100 breast, 14th
Shea Kasenga, 8: 100 free, 15th; 50 back, 14th; 100 IM, 10th; 50 free, 14th; 25 back, 13th; 25 breast, 2nd
Thea Smith, 8:
100 free, 9th; 50 fly, 19th; 50 back, 19th; 50 free, 10th; 25 back, 17th; 25 free, 5th
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge