Friday, February 22, 2013
In a much-anticipated season debut, the Gorge Roller Girls are excited to announce the first-ever bout of the recently formed roller derby league. The bout, set for March 16 at Hood River Valley High School, comes after months of recruiting members, training, building stamina and preparing bodies for the physical demands associated with the rapidly reemerging sport of roller derby.
The inaugural season kicks off with a bout between the league’s two home teams; the River Reapers and the Cherry Bombers. Doors open at 5 p.m., action starts at 6 p.m. and tickets are on sale now ($10 general admission, 6-and-under free) at www.gorgerollergirls.com.
A celebration and dance party will follow the bout at Rivertap in downtown Hood River.
n Formed in fall 2011, the Gorge Roller Girls develop women of attitude, athleticism and passion to play a hard-hitting sport of speed and skill, according to a club press release. GRG's mission is a commitment "to empowering women and girls, providing entertainment to their fans and supporting the community through charity and volunteerism."
Volunteers are needed for the March 16 event and to help with future activities. For more information on how to help or how to join a team, visit www.gorgeroller
girls.com or contact Ophelia Fury at ophelifury@gorge
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge