Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Clara ‘Marie’ Stifel
Clara “Marie” Stifel, formerly of Hood River, passed away Feb. 22, 2013, in Hillsboro, Ore.
She was born Feb. 28, 1926, in New Boston, Ohio, to Thomas and Marion McGraw.
She is survived by her children: sons Pat Osterhoff, Phil DuFour, and Tim DuFour, and daughter Mari Elliot; numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her daughter Dianne Farmer.
A funeral service was scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday, March 1, at Mt. Scott Funeral Home, 4205 S.E. 59th Ave., Portland, OR 97206, with interment at Willamette National Cemetery.
Joann Wols, of Spokane, Wash., passed away Feb. 25, 2013. Joann was born May 31, 1943, in Caldwell, Idaho, to Gynith and Wint Roberts.
A celebration of life will be held Saturday, March 2, at 2 p.m. at the home of her sister, 2650 Blossom Hill Drive, Hood River.
A full obituary will appear in a future edition of the News.
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
- GOP governor candidates spar in Hood River
- Late rally falls short in HRV loss to Hermiston
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge