Wednesday, January 2, 2013
“Aspects of the Self: An Exploration,” the January show at Columbia Art Gallery in Hood River, opens on Friday, Jan. 4, with an artists’ reception from 6-8 p.m. The show will run through Jan. 27.
Nine artists explore existence, belief, purpose and what it means to belong to the human race.
Participating artists of the show are Blue Ackerman, Rebecca Bashara, Sam Bauc, Janet Essley, Teri Schurheck, Cleo Sterling, Cathy Stever, Eric Voigt and Peny Wallace.
Media used ranges from painting, sculpture, jewelry and plexi-glass.
On Jan. 16, at 7 p.m. the gallery will host an Artists Talk. The artists from the show will share how they approached the theme and give insights into their creative process.
The show is curated by artists Janet Essley and Peny Wallace.
For more info call Columbia Center for the Arts at 541-387-8877 during Center hours, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday or visit www.columbia arts.org.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge