Friday, January 4, 2013
Overtime might be part of the winning formula for the Horizon Christian School girls basketball team.
The Hawks outscored Columbian Christian 10-0 in the overtime period Wednesday, pulling away to a 38-28 win at home. It was Horizon’s second overtime win out of three victories this season.
Horizon (3-7) was saddled by turnovers (36 total) throughout regulation, but the Hawks played cleaner in the extra period, turning the ball over just twice. The result was more possessions, which led to more opportunities to score.
Senior post Katie Tolbert took advantage, scoring five of her game-high 15 points in the extra period. Tolbert, who was 5 for 6 from the free-throw line, added eight rebounds. She opened the overtime scoring with a field goal and two free throws to give Horizon a 32-28 lead. Marlie Bloomster’s three-point play with 1:50 remaining all but sealed the win for the Hawks. Bloomster had a game-high 14 rebounds, helping her team to a 45-41 advantage in that category.
Horizon led a couple of six-point leads in the first half, but the Hawks could never completely shake free of the Knights. Columbia closed the third quarter with a 7-2 scoring advantage to take a 22-20 lead. The game was tied for times in the fourth quarter.
Horizon began league play Friday at Central Christian in Redmond (results were unavailable at presstime). The Hawks continue Big Sky action on Saturday with a 4 p.m. home game against Echo.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge