Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Hood River Valley High School ski team hit the slopes this weekend in the annual Christine Cato Memorial Race. The annual event brought 35 teams of boys and girls from across Oregon to the snowy slopes of Timberline for the first race of the Oregon Interscholastic Ski Racing Association high school season.
Topping the charts was the HRV varsity girls team led by Lucy McLean and Korey Cimock. The two finished first and second respectively to propel the team to a first-place overall finish.
With falls from Ryan Colesar and Patrick Crompton, boys varsity skiers had a tougher time on the course but still managed a fifth-place finish out of 19 teams. Freshman William Lamer led the way for the boys with a fifth-place individual finish, two seconds behind overall winner Dalton Tuor of West Linn. Crompton finished second for the Eagles and 24th overall, followed by Colesar in 36th to round out the team’s top three.
Both girls and boys junior varsity teams finished third overall. Hannah Bergemann, Savannah Brentlinger and Casey Sherrerd were the top three HRV girls and Brodie Sutherland, Nick Cooper and Rio Edwards were the top boys.
The team trains this week in preparation for giant slalom and freestyle contests Saturday.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge