Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Hood River Valley High School ski team hit the slopes this weekend in the annual Christine Cato Memorial Race. The annual event brought 35 teams of boys and girls from across Oregon to the snowy slopes of Timberline for the first race of the Oregon Interscholastic Ski Racing Association high school season.
Topping the charts was the HRV varsity girls team led by Lucy McLean and Korey Cimock. The two finished first and second respectively to propel the team to a first-place overall finish.
With falls from Ryan Colesar and Patrick Crompton, boys varsity skiers had a tougher time on the course but still managed a fifth-place finish out of 19 teams. Freshman William Lamer led the way for the boys with a fifth-place individual finish, two seconds behind overall winner Dalton Tuor of West Linn. Crompton finished second for the Eagles and 24th overall, followed by Colesar in 36th to round out the team’s top three.
Both girls and boys junior varsity teams finished third overall. Hannah Bergemann, Savannah Brentlinger and Casey Sherrerd were the top three HRV girls and Brodie Sutherland, Nick Cooper and Rio Edwards were the top boys.
The team trains this week in preparation for giant slalom and freestyle contests Saturday.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge