Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Hood River Valley High School ski team hit the slopes this weekend in the annual Christine Cato Memorial Race. The annual event brought 35 teams of boys and girls from across Oregon to the snowy slopes of Timberline for the first race of the Oregon Interscholastic Ski Racing Association high school season.
Topping the charts was the HRV varsity girls team led by Lucy McLean and Korey Cimock. The two finished first and second respectively to propel the team to a first-place overall finish.
With falls from Ryan Colesar and Patrick Crompton, boys varsity skiers had a tougher time on the course but still managed a fifth-place finish out of 19 teams. Freshman William Lamer led the way for the boys with a fifth-place individual finish, two seconds behind overall winner Dalton Tuor of West Linn. Crompton finished second for the Eagles and 24th overall, followed by Colesar in 36th to round out the team’s top three.
Both girls and boys junior varsity teams finished third overall. Hannah Bergemann, Savannah Brentlinger and Casey Sherrerd were the top three HRV girls and Brodie Sutherland, Nick Cooper and Rio Edwards were the top boys.
The team trains this week in preparation for giant slalom and freestyle contests Saturday.
More like this story
- Fun at the CGWA Beach Bash
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
- Fire season is here: enjoy yourself, safely and legally
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge