Friday, January 11, 2013
Sport sturgeon retention season approved for Bonneville Pool
The recreational fishery for white sturgeon in the Bonneville Reservoir will be open seven days a week through Feb. 10. Fishery managers determined that closing the fishery to sturgeon retention on Feb. 11 will reserve about 850 fish for a summer season.
When sturgeon retention is not allowed, catch-and-release angling for sturgeon will still be allowed between the two dams. The section of the Columbia River and tributaries between The Dalles Dam and McNary Dam opened to sturgeon retention Jan. 1, per permanent rules.
Section of White Salmon Riverreopens for steelhead angling
The White Salmon River reopened Jan. 5 for steelhead fishing from the county road bridge below the former powerhouse to Northwestern Lake Road Bridge. The area has been closed for angling due to the decommissioning of Condit Dam in fall 2011 but has historically been a popular fishing area.
The daily limit is two hatchery steelhead. All other species, including salmon, must be released. This is consistent with regulations proposed for the 2013-14 pamphlet.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge