Friday, January 11, 2013
Sport sturgeon retention season approved for Bonneville Pool
The recreational fishery for white sturgeon in the Bonneville Reservoir will be open seven days a week through Feb. 10. Fishery managers determined that closing the fishery to sturgeon retention on Feb. 11 will reserve about 850 fish for a summer season.
When sturgeon retention is not allowed, catch-and-release angling for sturgeon will still be allowed between the two dams. The section of the Columbia River and tributaries between The Dalles Dam and McNary Dam opened to sturgeon retention Jan. 1, per permanent rules.
Section of White Salmon Riverreopens for steelhead angling
The White Salmon River reopened Jan. 5 for steelhead fishing from the county road bridge below the former powerhouse to Northwestern Lake Road Bridge. The area has been closed for angling due to the decommissioning of Condit Dam in fall 2011 but has historically been a popular fishing area.
The daily limit is two hatchery steelhead. All other species, including salmon, must be released. This is consistent with regulations proposed for the 2013-14 pamphlet.
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge