Friday, January 11, 2013
Sport sturgeon retention season approved for Bonneville Pool
The recreational fishery for white sturgeon in the Bonneville Reservoir will be open seven days a week through Feb. 10. Fishery managers determined that closing the fishery to sturgeon retention on Feb. 11 will reserve about 850 fish for a summer season.
When sturgeon retention is not allowed, catch-and-release angling for sturgeon will still be allowed between the two dams. The section of the Columbia River and tributaries between The Dalles Dam and McNary Dam opened to sturgeon retention Jan. 1, per permanent rules.
Section of White Salmon Riverreopens for steelhead angling
The White Salmon River reopened Jan. 5 for steelhead fishing from the county road bridge below the former powerhouse to Northwestern Lake Road Bridge. The area has been closed for angling due to the decommissioning of Condit Dam in fall 2011 but has historically been a popular fishing area.
The daily limit is two hatchery steelhead. All other species, including salmon, must be released. This is consistent with regulations proposed for the 2013-14 pamphlet.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge