Friday, January 11, 2013
Cooper Spur Race Team is 65 kids strong as it starts its 35th winter race season. Fresh off the team’s annual Cooper Camp over winter vacation, young skiers performed admirably in the first Mt. Hood Mighty Mite race over the weekend. Melissa Nardone was the race’s fastest girl, beating out Natalie Hall in second (Mount Hood Race Team) by a hundredth of a second. CSRT’s Louise Howe was a close third, trailing by only two-tenths of a second. Despite tripping the wand on her first run, Anne Hendrickson (CSRT) snagged second place in the U10 division. For the youngest girls, U8, CSRT swept the top five places, with Elena Kaimaktchiev in first, followed closely by Sutton Bell LeFevre and Gigi Odonell rounding out the top three. For the CSRT boys, Carter Rigert fought hard for his sixth-place overall finish. In the U12 division, Cassell LeFevre threw down some stunning arcs and landed himself a third place, followed closely by Lowell Schmidt in fifth and Josh Nardone in seventh. In the U10 boys division, Cooper Spur’s Zeke Bukovansky battled his way to third place.
CSRT is holding steady in numbers over recent years and is seeing strong interest in the team’s new freestyle skiing program, started this year. Racers range in age from 6 to 16 and train anywhere from one to four days a week, depending on the level they want to compete at. For more info visit www.cooperspurraceteam.org.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge