Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Nine artists are featured this month at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River. The current show is entitled “Aspects of Self,” and features work from Blue Ackerman, Rebecca Bashara, Samantha Bauc, Janet Essley, Teri Schurheck, Cleo Sterling, Cathy Stever, Eric Voigt and Peny Wallace.
Join the artists for a free artist talk on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 7 p.m. as they discuss their work and the creative process.
Excerpt from Teri Schurheck’s artist’s statement:
“Words are my life, my love, my art. Now, I do my best to let them find me instead of chasing after them. Words and phrases and stories that inspire are what I aspire to share. I feel a willing, joyful responsibility to the words that come to me.
“I also have a passionate obsession with asking life-altering questions: What is real? Why does love have rules? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Where are we going? Are we humans capable of consciously evolving? Saying ‘no’ to anything doesn’t work — what do I want to say ‘yes’ to?
“If we are all reflections of one another, can words expressing my ‘yes’ to life, my love and truth in this moment merge with another person expressing their ‘yes’ to life and their love and truth create an expanded reflection of what we call Self?”
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge