Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Nine artists are featured this month at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River. The current show is entitled “Aspects of Self,” and features work from Blue Ackerman, Rebecca Bashara, Samantha Bauc, Janet Essley, Teri Schurheck, Cleo Sterling, Cathy Stever, Eric Voigt and Peny Wallace.
Join the artists for a free artist talk on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 7 p.m. as they discuss their work and the creative process.
Excerpt from Teri Schurheck’s artist’s statement:
“Words are my life, my love, my art. Now, I do my best to let them find me instead of chasing after them. Words and phrases and stories that inspire are what I aspire to share. I feel a willing, joyful responsibility to the words that come to me.
“I also have a passionate obsession with asking life-altering questions: What is real? Why does love have rules? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Where are we going? Are we humans capable of consciously evolving? Saying ‘no’ to anything doesn’t work — what do I want to say ‘yes’ to?
“If we are all reflections of one another, can words expressing my ‘yes’ to life, my love and truth in this moment merge with another person expressing their ‘yes’ to life and their love and truth create an expanded reflection of what we call Self?”
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge