Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Nine artists are featured this month at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River. The current show is entitled “Aspects of Self,” and features work from Blue Ackerman, Rebecca Bashara, Samantha Bauc, Janet Essley, Teri Schurheck, Cleo Sterling, Cathy Stever, Eric Voigt and Peny Wallace.
Join the artists for a free artist talk on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 7 p.m. as they discuss their work and the creative process.
Excerpt from Teri Schurheck’s artist’s statement:
“Words are my life, my love, my art. Now, I do my best to let them find me instead of chasing after them. Words and phrases and stories that inspire are what I aspire to share. I feel a willing, joyful responsibility to the words that come to me.
“I also have a passionate obsession with asking life-altering questions: What is real? Why does love have rules? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Where are we going? Are we humans capable of consciously evolving? Saying ‘no’ to anything doesn’t work — what do I want to say ‘yes’ to?
“If we are all reflections of one another, can words expressing my ‘yes’ to life, my love and truth in this moment merge with another person expressing their ‘yes’ to life and their love and truth create an expanded reflection of what we call Self?”
More like this story
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Walmart sells 16.3 acres to Ryan’s Juice
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge