Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Nine artists are featured this month at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River. The current show is entitled “Aspects of Self,” and features work from Blue Ackerman, Rebecca Bashara, Samantha Bauc, Janet Essley, Teri Schurheck, Cleo Sterling, Cathy Stever, Eric Voigt and Peny Wallace.
Join the artists for a free artist talk on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 7 p.m. as they discuss their work and the creative process.
Excerpt from Teri Schurheck’s artist’s statement:
“Words are my life, my love, my art. Now, I do my best to let them find me instead of chasing after them. Words and phrases and stories that inspire are what I aspire to share. I feel a willing, joyful responsibility to the words that come to me.
“I also have a passionate obsession with asking life-altering questions: What is real? Why does love have rules? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Where are we going? Are we humans capable of consciously evolving? Saying ‘no’ to anything doesn’t work — what do I want to say ‘yes’ to?
“If we are all reflections of one another, can words expressing my ‘yes’ to life, my love and truth in this moment merge with another person expressing their ‘yes’ to life and their love and truth create an expanded reflection of what we call Self?”
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge