Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Local youth competed in two recent free-throw contests; one sponsored by Mid-Columbia Council of the Knights of Columbus and the other by the Hood River Elks Lodge.
Division winners for the Elks were: Danny Trejo and Brynne Holman (age 8-9), Grayson Losee and Emily Curtis (age 10-11) and Isaac Beaman and Bailey Frazier (age 12-13). These young hoopsters earned trophies and the chance to shoot at the Jan. 19 district competition in Hermiston.
Knights of Columbus contest winners were: Noah Webster and Kaitlyn McNerney (age 10), Isaac Phelps and Emily Curtis (age 11), Isaac Beaman and Katie Kennedy (age 12) and Cody Wheat (age 14). These athletes also earned trophies and will advance to the district contest held next month in Hood River.
Credit and thanks go to Hood River Valley High School coaches Steve Noteboom and Tom Ames, and their staff of high school basketball players who supported the contests as part of their annual winter vacation basketball camp.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge