Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Local youth competed in two recent free-throw contests; one sponsored by Mid-Columbia Council of the Knights of Columbus and the other by the Hood River Elks Lodge.
Division winners for the Elks were: Danny Trejo and Brynne Holman (age 8-9), Grayson Losee and Emily Curtis (age 10-11) and Isaac Beaman and Bailey Frazier (age 12-13). These young hoopsters earned trophies and the chance to shoot at the Jan. 19 district competition in Hermiston.
Knights of Columbus contest winners were: Noah Webster and Kaitlyn McNerney (age 10), Isaac Phelps and Emily Curtis (age 11), Isaac Beaman and Katie Kennedy (age 12) and Cody Wheat (age 14). These athletes also earned trophies and will advance to the district contest held next month in Hood River.
Credit and thanks go to Hood River Valley High School coaches Steve Noteboom and Tom Ames, and their staff of high school basketball players who supported the contests as part of their annual winter vacation basketball camp.
More like this story
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
- GOP governor candidates spar in Hood River
- Late rally falls short in HRV loss to Hermiston
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge