Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Cold and sunny conditions with fresh sparkling dry snow set the stage for the HRV Nordic Team’s race at Hoodoo Ski area Saturday morning near Sisters. The race was the second of the Oregon High School Nordic Organization season and was hosted by teams from Corvallis, Crescent Valley and Sisters.
With ideal conditions underfoot, both HRV boys and girls teams placed third overall in the 5K skate style race.
Sam Wiley led the boys team with a time of 16:30; good enough for sixth place. He was backed by Nils Engbersen in 16th, followed by Mason McDowell, Billy Edwards and Alex Chadney.
The HRV girls were led by a strong 10th-place finish from Petra Knapp, with a time of 21:38. Delia Dolan was second for HRV in 18th place, followed by Miranda Starr, Eva Kahn and Althea Dillon. Freshmen Victoria Kohner-Flanagan and Lauren Robinson finished out the girls team for a strong showing.
A relay followed the race with the HRV combination of Sam Wiley, Mason McDowell, and Billy Edwards placing third. HRV girls also placed third in the relay with the team of Miranda Starr, Delia Dolan and Petra Knapp.
More like this story
- Hood River County to direct $550K for park septic fixes
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
- Two quilt shows in the Gorge
- Roots and Branches: Principles set in stone
- YESTERYEARS: Cooper Spur district gets electric service in 1947
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 18 edition
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge