Tuesday, January 15, 2013
More than ceremony took place Monday as new and returning city council members took the oaths of office in Hood River and Cascade Locks.
Tom Cramblett officially became mayor of Cascade Locks, and the new council’s first controversy ensued over how to go about filling Cramblett’s vacant city council post. (Details on page A5.)
Newly elected councilors Glenda Groves and Bruce Fitzpatrick also took the oath of office, along with returning councilors Randy Holmstrom and Mark Storm.
Fitzpatrick was elected council president, a post formerly held by Cramblett, who defeated former mayor Lance Masters in the November election.
Meanwhile, Hood River’s city council meeting, re-elected Mayor Arthur Babitz took the oath along with returning councilors Kate McBride and Laurent Picard, and newly elected councilman Mark Zanmiller, who had been a longtime board member with Hood River County Parks and Recreation District.
Council then dove into a three-hour discussion of whether to allow housing on the evolving waterfront area, and decided to instruct staff to bring back an ordinance barring all residential development in Commercial 2 zones. (See page A5 for details.)
More like this story
- Cascade Locks City Council puts off filling vacancy
- In service At the start of 2011, best wishes to elected, appointed and In service: At the start of 2011, best wishes to elected, appointed and returning public officials
- Three city council members call it quits in Cascade Locks
- CL Council takes issue with Seeger agreement
- Lance Masters appointed as Cascade Locks mayor
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge