Tuesday, January 15, 2013
More than ceremony took place Monday as new and returning city council members took the oaths of office in Hood River and Cascade Locks.
Tom Cramblett officially became mayor of Cascade Locks, and the new council’s first controversy ensued over how to go about filling Cramblett’s vacant city council post. (Details on page A5.)
Newly elected councilors Glenda Groves and Bruce Fitzpatrick also took the oath of office, along with returning councilors Randy Holmstrom and Mark Storm.
Fitzpatrick was elected council president, a post formerly held by Cramblett, who defeated former mayor Lance Masters in the November election.
Meanwhile, Hood River’s city council meeting, re-elected Mayor Arthur Babitz took the oath along with returning councilors Kate McBride and Laurent Picard, and newly elected councilman Mark Zanmiller, who had been a longtime board member with Hood River County Parks and Recreation District.
Council then dove into a three-hour discussion of whether to allow housing on the evolving waterfront area, and decided to instruct staff to bring back an ordinance barring all residential development in Commercial 2 zones. (See page A5 for details.)
More like this story
- Cascade Locks City Council puts off filling vacancy
- In service At the start of 2011, best wishes to elected, appointed and In service: At the start of 2011, best wishes to elected, appointed and returning public officials
- Three city council members call it quits in Cascade Locks
- CL Council takes issue with Seeger agreement
- Lance Masters appointed as Cascade Locks mayor
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge