Friday, January 18, 2013
Whatever your musical tastes — jazz, Irish dance music or vocal pop — you’ll enjoy a special evening with some talented local musicians on Thursday, Jan. 24.
The Pines is playing host to a special fundraiser for the Hood River Valley High School Chamber Singers’ upcoming tour to Ireland. On the bill are the high school’s Aurora vocal ensemble, which features tight vocal harmonies framed by piano and percussion; with local Irish band Barley Draught and popular jazz artist Tim Mayer and the Groove Project.
A suggested $10 donation will benefit the high school and of course, beverages will be available. The show begins at 7 p.m.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge