Friday, January 18, 2013
The Hood River chapter of the American Red Cross invites the community to two opportunities on Jan. 26 to become Red Cross volunteers.
The mission of the American Red Cross is to “prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.”
With this in mind, it is important that the local Red Cross chapter recruit and train many new volunteers so that it will be ready for any future local disaster. At this time there are not enough local Red Cross volunteers.
The two volunteer training workshops are as follows:
Disaster services overview
The workshop will be from 10 a.m. to noon at the Hood River Fire department. The class will present an overview of the American Red Cross and the disaster services it provides throughout the community. The class will cover how our local chapter interacts with the national American Red Cross organization, other local Red Cross chapters and community organizations.
Disaster action team
The workshop will be from 1-3 p.m. at the Hood River Fire Department. The disaster action teams ensure that trained American Red Cross volunteers respond quickly to a disaster event such as a house fire. Disaster action teams provide immediate identifiable emergency services to those affected by a disaster.
Completion of the first workshop is required to qualify for the second workshop.
There will be a one-hour lunch break between the workshops.
For more information or to register, contact Susan Baker at 503-380-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge