Tuesday, January 29, 2013
HRVHS Robotics Team Magnum (formerly Blue Steel) competed in the First Tech Challenge regional qualifying event Jan. 26 in Tigard. They earned second place on the game field, second place in the Aspire award challenge and then won the Rockwell Collins innovate award for their robot design.
The FTC competition is the next step up from the First Lego League competition held the previous week and is designed to promote science, technology, engineering and math.
In the next month the four HRVHS teams will compete in two more qualifying events each. These will include a Feb. 9 qualifier at Glenco High School, the Feb. 16 qualifier hosted at Hood River Valley High School and a Feb. 24 OMSI qualifier.
There will be 20 teams from Washington and Oregon competing in the Hood River event trying to advance to state.
The HRVHS teams are looking for volunteers to help host the event; no experience is required and training will be provided. If interested contact Jeff Blackman at HRVHS, 541-386-4500.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge