Tuesday, January 29, 2013
HRVHS Robotics Team Magnum (formerly Blue Steel) competed in the First Tech Challenge regional qualifying event Jan. 26 in Tigard. They earned second place on the game field, second place in the Aspire award challenge and then won the Rockwell Collins innovate award for their robot design.
The FTC competition is the next step up from the First Lego League competition held the previous week and is designed to promote science, technology, engineering and math.
In the next month the four HRVHS teams will compete in two more qualifying events each. These will include a Feb. 9 qualifier at Glenco High School, the Feb. 16 qualifier hosted at Hood River Valley High School and a Feb. 24 OMSI qualifier.
There will be 20 teams from Washington and Oregon competing in the Hood River event trying to advance to state.
The HRVHS teams are looking for volunteers to help host the event; no experience is required and training will be provided. If interested contact Jeff Blackman at HRVHS, 541-386-4500.
More like this story
- Death announcement for May 23: Anna Olson
- Hood River Valley wins 5A boys track title
- Water bottling ban passes, legal questions remain
- Murder suspect bails out, gets jailed again
- On the Marks: Dist. 52 candidates talk next moves
- Women pastors lead all three UCC congregations in the Gorge
- Fresh Start Culinary Arts seeks applicants for summer
- ‘Reimagine Education’ community forum happens May 26
- Entertainment update
- Letters to the editor