Tuesday, January 29, 2013
HRVHS Robotics Team Magnum (formerly Blue Steel) competed in the First Tech Challenge regional qualifying event Jan. 26 in Tigard. They earned second place on the game field, second place in the Aspire award challenge and then won the Rockwell Collins innovate award for their robot design.
The FTC competition is the next step up from the First Lego League competition held the previous week and is designed to promote science, technology, engineering and math.
In the next month the four HRVHS teams will compete in two more qualifying events each. These will include a Feb. 9 qualifier at Glenco High School, the Feb. 16 qualifier hosted at Hood River Valley High School and a Feb. 24 OMSI qualifier.
There will be 20 teams from Washington and Oregon competing in the Hood River event trying to advance to state.
The HRVHS teams are looking for volunteers to help host the event; no experience is required and training will be provided. If interested contact Jeff Blackman at HRVHS, 541-386-4500.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge