Tuesday, January 29, 2013
HRVHS Robotics Team Magnum (formerly Blue Steel) competed in the First Tech Challenge regional qualifying event Jan. 26 in Tigard. They earned second place on the game field, second place in the Aspire award challenge and then won the Rockwell Collins innovate award for their robot design.
The FTC competition is the next step up from the First Lego League competition held the previous week and is designed to promote science, technology, engineering and math.
In the next month the four HRVHS teams will compete in two more qualifying events each. These will include a Feb. 9 qualifier at Glenco High School, the Feb. 16 qualifier hosted at Hood River Valley High School and a Feb. 24 OMSI qualifier.
There will be 20 teams from Washington and Oregon competing in the Hood River event trying to advance to state.
The HRVHS teams are looking for volunteers to help host the event; no experience is required and training will be provided. If interested contact Jeff Blackman at HRVHS, 541-386-4500.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Feb. 25: Nellie Hjaltalin
- Death Notices for Feb. 25: Roger Justesen, Howard Kinzey and Stanford Harvey
- Ice causes crashes on Dee Highway Thursday
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 22
- Honoring Loyalty: Oregon rightfully saves the date: Feb. 19: Our necessary ‘Day of Remembrance’
- Legislative Letter: Elliott Forest should have followed Hood River model
- 2017 INNOVATIVE TEACHING GRANTS: Education Foundation announces new funds
- CGCC master plan aims for ‘cost-effective’ degree route, service to Hispanics
- Speech-Debate team readies for busy spring
- ‘Green’ gainers