Tuesday, January 29, 2013
HRVHS Robotics Team Magnum (formerly Blue Steel) competed in the First Tech Challenge regional qualifying event Jan. 26 in Tigard. They earned second place on the game field, second place in the Aspire award challenge and then won the Rockwell Collins innovate award for their robot design.
The FTC competition is the next step up from the First Lego League competition held the previous week and is designed to promote science, technology, engineering and math.
In the next month the four HRVHS teams will compete in two more qualifying events each. These will include a Feb. 9 qualifier at Glenco High School, the Feb. 16 qualifier hosted at Hood River Valley High School and a Feb. 24 OMSI qualifier.
There will be 20 teams from Washington and Oregon competing in the Hood River event trying to advance to state.
The HRVHS teams are looking for volunteers to help host the event; no experience is required and training will be provided. If interested contact Jeff Blackman at HRVHS, 541-386-4500.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events