Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Nationally touring Denver-based band Ark Life comes to Double Mountain Brewery in Hood River on Saturday, July 13, at 9 p.m. Opening the show will be indie-rock trio Paleo, currently based in Portland. There is no cover charge.
From 2007 to 2012, songwriter Jesse Elliott led his rock and roll band These United States through five studio albums and nearly 1,000 live performances in the U.S., Canada and Europe.
The three-part harmonies of pianist Lindsay McWilliams, bassist Anna Morsett (also of TUS) and guitarist Natalie Tate just blended too perfectly with veteran Denver drummer Ben Desoto (Nathaniel Rateliff, The Czars). The band pulls from contemporaries like The Mynabirds, Fruit Bats, Leonard Cohen, CCR, Motown and the classic campfire sing-along.
For the last five years, living in a car, booking his own shows, producing all his own music, Paleo has become something of a mantlepiece in the American house show circuit.
His tour history is a database for kindred spirits: over 700 shows across the US, about 150 a year since 2005. And while his self-released first record, Misery, Missouri (2005) earned him high marks from a number of sources, Paleo gathered most of his notoriety through his songwriting mecca, The Song Diary. Easter Day 2006 to Tax Day 2007, he wrote and recorded 365 songs consecutively.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge