Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Thursday is Independence Day, and fine weather is in the forecast.
(Don’t forget the sunscreen.)
Many community events are planned in Hood River, Odell and Cascade Locks, and banks and government offices (and the Hood River News) will be closed.
To help you celebrate in fun and safety, here are five things to remember about July 4:
n Fireworks are best enjoyed by safely watching the 10 p.m. displays in Hood River and Cascade Locks.
n The Spit in Hood River is closed from July 3-5 for the fireworks show.
n Parade entry time is 8:30 a.m. on the Heights, and “Go the Extra Mile” is the theme. (Mid Valley Dancers, left, from 2012, will perform.)
n From 8 to 11 a.m. July 4, runners and walkers will be on the road from Odell to Hood River, so please use caution.
n Odell parade starts at 4 p.m., or line up at Mid Valley Elementary to be part of it by 3:30.
For details on these events and more, turn to Kaleidoscope, page B1.
On page A7, learn more about the Kollas-Cranmer Run.
More like this story
- White Salmon Valley PTO holds 25th annual silent auction April 28
- CarFit Technician training held April 30
- Raices annual plant sale May 13
- Letters to the Editor for April 22
- Church News: Carina Miller at Riverside, Nazarene Blossom Bazaar
- Scholarship Benefit Saturday
- HAHRC Beats: Enjoy food more while eating less
- Area Agency on Aging seeks to redefine volunteering during National Volunteer Week, April 23-29
- Día de los Niños celebration April 28
- Drug Take Back Day April 29 at Skyline
I Can't Keep Quiet singers at "Citizen Town Hall"
‘I can’t keep quiet,’ sing members of an impromptu choir in front of Hood River Middle School Saturday prior to the citizen town hall for questions to Rep. Greg Walden. The song addresses female empowerment generally and sexual violence implicitly, and gained prominence during the International Women’s Day events in January. The singers braved a sudden squall to finish their song and about 220 people gathered in HRMS auditorium, which will be the scene of the April 12 town hall with Rep. Greg Walden, at 3 p.m. Enlarge