Wednesday, July 10, 2013
Causa Oregon will host a forum on immigration reform July 13, with guest speaker U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., an immigration reform proponent.
The event will be at noon at Hood River Middle School, 1602 May St. The community is welcome to attend.
Gutierrez is making a stop in Oregon on his nationwide tour to send the message that members of the U.S. House must pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill that includes a path to citizenship for 11 million undocumented immigrants and stops the separation of families.
The Hood River event will mark the kick-off of Causa’s campaign in Oregon’s Second District to urge U.S. Rep. Greg Walden, R-Hood River, to support comprehensive immigration reform.
“Our federal immigration system is broken, and fixing it is certainly a priority in the Congress,” Walden said. “The House is working on its own proposals under an open and transparent process in which all appropriate committees are allowed to properly vet any proposed legislation. A bipartisan group of lawmakers in the U.S. House—including my friend Luis Gutierrez — have been working on a plan to update our immigration laws for several years, and, while they have not reached final agreement, I look forward to reviewing their work as well. As this process moves forward, I value input from Oregonians of all points of view, and I look forward to continuing a dialogue on this complicated issue. This is a federal problem that needs a federal solution.”
More like this story
- Team Osprey competes in Bend Winter Invitational
- Sports briefs for Dec. 13
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 13
- Off the Rails: Protest oil train regulation rollback
- Hood River Bridge replacement: Understanding the WHATs
- Sheriff's Log, Nov. 26 to Dec. 10
- Happiness Month profile: Slowing down with ‘The Daily Three’
- Menorah Installed
- How to help during the holidays
- Students of the Month: Elks Lodge honors Zorza and Castañeda