Saturday, July 20, 2013
Hood River Soccer Club’s 13/14 Strikers traveled to Seattle last weekend for the Seattle United Cup at the Starfire Soccer Complex. The boys went 4-0, with all four wins as shut-outs, to claim the Cup in commanding fashion despite playing man-down for part of the tournament due to a questionable red card call. In the championship game against Santos FC Cruziero of Hillsboro, Angel Sonato scored the only goal in the 1-0 win off a free kick from about 40 yards out.
Next up for the team, consisting of players from Hood River, Odell, Parkdale, Pine Grove, White Salmon and Boardman, is the first leg of the NW Champions League in August, where the Strikers will compete against the top six 13/14 teams from Washington. The second leg of the league runs in October.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge