Saturday, July 20, 2013
Hood River wrestlers Max Lane, Jessica DeHart and Payton Riggert returned this week from the annual USA Wrestling Nationals in Fargo, N.D. The three, all Hood River Valley High School wrestling team members, represented the local community and the state as part of the Oregon National Team — Lane at 220 pounds, DeHart at 108 pounds and Riggert at 130 pounds.
Highlighting the trip for the trio was DeHart’s second-place finish in the girls cadet freestyle tournament, where she went 3-1 to finish as runner-up and earn All-American status in the event for the second year in a row; last year she won a national title at the same tournament.
Lane went 1-2 in freestyle and 0-2 in Greco and Riggert went 0-2 in both disciplines for a quick showing in the tournament.
“They didn’t do as well as they would have liked, but they still gained the experience of representing Oregon and their community on the national stage,” said Trent Kroll, HRVHS head coach. “Wrestlers tend to come back with a new swagger after nationals. They come back, set new goals and get ready for November.”
More like this story
- Sports Briefs for July 27
- Service announcements for July 27: Ada Redlock, Douglas Warnock, Betty Akiyama and Virginia Phillips
- Death notice for July 27: Scott Bauer
- Peters and Lassila engaged
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge