Saturday, July 20, 2013
Hood River wrestlers Max Lane, Jessica DeHart and Payton Riggert returned this week from the annual USA Wrestling Nationals in Fargo, N.D. The three, all Hood River Valley High School wrestling team members, represented the local community and the state as part of the Oregon National Team — Lane at 220 pounds, DeHart at 108 pounds and Riggert at 130 pounds.
Highlighting the trip for the trio was DeHart’s second-place finish in the girls cadet freestyle tournament, where she went 3-1 to finish as runner-up and earn All-American status in the event for the second year in a row; last year she won a national title at the same tournament.
Lane went 1-2 in freestyle and 0-2 in Greco and Riggert went 0-2 in both disciplines for a quick showing in the tournament.
“They didn’t do as well as they would have liked, but they still gained the experience of representing Oregon and their community on the national stage,” said Trent Kroll, HRVHS head coach. “Wrestlers tend to come back with a new swagger after nationals. They come back, set new goals and get ready for November.”
More like this story
- OSAA 5A SOFTBALL PLAYOFFS Late-game heroics by Lauren Decker, Hannah McNerney send HRV to the 5A quarterfinals
- Death Notices for May 27: Sharon Mills, Donna Schnell and Scott Zorza
- Service Announcements for May 27: Randy Van Woert and Thomas Ford
- Next Walking Tour June 5
- Lyle Pioneer Days return May 27
- CASA launches 2017 Playhouse Raffle
- YESTERYEARS: Ross, Daphne Hukari Animal Shelter opens in 2007
- ‘Guy, Guitar, Girl’: young actor seeks film support
- A ‘transforming gift’
- Author signing June 3 at HR Farmers’ Market
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge