Saturday, July 20, 2013
Two renowned Oregon poets will read their works at the Hood River Library July 23 at 7 p.m.
Steve Dieffenbacher and Jonah Bornstein will give readings and discuss their works as part of an Eastern Oregon tour sponsored by Libraries of Eastern Oregon.
All ages are welcome to attend the program.
Dieffenbacher has lived in Oregon’s Rogue Valley since 1989. His poem “Emptiness” won the 2010 poetry prize sponsored by Cloudbank Magazine. He has been published in numerous regional journals and in the just-published anthology “What the River Brings: Oregon River Poems,” edited by Kathryn Ridall.
Dieffenbacher is an editor at the Mail Tribune in Medford, where he writes a monthly column focusing on nature and hiking for the newspaper’s Sunday travel section. He has won various awards for writing, photography and page design in his more than 35 years as a journalist. His poems also are included in “Deer Drink the Moon,” an anthology of Oregon poetry published by Ooligan Press at Portland State University.
Bornstein is the author and co-author of several collections of poetry, most recently a chapbook, “Treatise on Emptiness.” His poems have been anthologized in “Sept. 11, 2001, American Writers Respond,” “Walking Bridges” and among other collections.
Bornstein lives in Ashland, where he teaches and edits poetry privately. His poems have been published in Westwind Review, Jefferson Monthly, Hesperides, among others.
He is a Pushcart Prize nominee, winner of two OPA awards, the Coulter Poetry Prize and a New York University Poetry Prize.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge