Saturday, July 20, 2013
With a low gross of 60, the four-person team of Josh Halemeier, Justin Kahut, Stephen Stenberg and Rachel Stenberg finished as winners of the second-annual Dale Goetz/Marc Lee Memorial Golf Tournament last weekend at Hood River Golf Course. The four beat out five other teams in the tournament held to honor two Hood River residents who were killed in action in 2006 and 2010 serving the United States military in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The trio of Tom Yates, Michael Stenberg and Oscar Stenberg finished just a few strokes off, with a gross of 66, to claim second place in the six-team tournament. Complete results are as follows:
First — Low gross of 60: Josh Halemeier, Justin Kahut, Stephen Stenberg, Rachel Stenberg
Second — 63: Tom Yates, Michael Stenberg, Oscar Stenberg
Third — 66: George Fort, George Young, Dr. Paul Armerding
Fourth — 70: Kirby Carter, Austin Requa, Alex Tran, Scott Halliday
Fifth — 72: Nate Boyden, Jake Johnson, Adam Ohlson
Sixth — 73: Darrin Lingel, Caleb Lingel, Joe Petshow, Alex Petshow
Lee was a Navy SEAL killed in Iraq in 2006 while helping save a soldier wounded on a rooftop by a sniper. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for heroism, the Purple Heart and the Combat Action Ribbon for his actions in the battle.
Goetz, an Army chaplain serving in Afghanistan, was killed in 2010 while helping fellow soldiers whose Humvee was hit by an IED. He and four other soldiers were killed by an improvised bomb.
The third-annual tournament is scheduled for July 12 next year at Hood River Golf Course.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge