Wednesday, July 24, 2013
The Solstice Cafe Kickstarter project — an online campaign to raise funds for bringing the Solstice Café from Bingen, Wash., to the Hood River Waterfront — was funded successfully with 456 backers pledging $57,647 in three weeks.
“We reached our goal of $50,000 after only two weeks and the pledges just kept coming in until the end on June 23. We are so thrilled and inspired by every individual, family and business in our community that chose to be a part of our dream. This community really rallied behind us in such a powerful way and got really into the whole thing. They really validated our plans,” said café owners Suzanne and Aaron Baumhackl.
A story on the fundraising effort was published in the June 15 edition of the News.
“People told us that they contributed for many different reasons: to be a part of creating the Hood River waterfront experience they wanted, simply because they love Solstice food and what we stand for, to have Solstice in Hood River for convenience, or because they think we will be very successful in the new location and agree that it's a great business move,” the owners said.
Since securing the Kickstarter campaign funding, Solstice is looking at trying to open in its new location on Dec. 1. The restaurant will features gourmet pizzas with an expanded menu, a mobile pizza catering service and will continue to focus on using locally farmed resources to make their products.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge