Boy injured in fall on White River

Rescuers carried a seriously injured 10-year-old boy out of the White River canyon south of Hood River early Wednesday.

Cole Hancock and his father, Kim, of Aloha, were hiking Tuesday evening when Cole fell down a steep 150-foot slope about 1.8 miles from the Sno-Park trailhead on Highway 35.

Cole remains in serious condition at Oregon Health & Science University after suffering multiple injuries, an OHSU official said Friday.

Kim Hancock called 9-1-1 dispatch at about 9 p.m. Tuesday and the Hood River County Sheriff’s office notified Parkdale Fire Department and Hood River Crag Rats. Deputy Chris Guertin responded, along with Crag Rat Richard Hallman, a professional photographer and former emergency room nurse.

Kim had moved Cole back to their campground, according to Sheriff Matt English.

Hallman was quoted as saying Cole suffered a deep gash in his forehead, cuts on his arms and neck was vomiting, and he was not conscious, according to an article in Thursday’s Oregonian newspaper.

Hallman called Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital, where he used to work, and consulted with doctors there, according to the Oregonian. They determined he needed immediate medical attention, according to the article.

LifeFlight was alerted and a second team of rescuers arrived with more supplies and a litter. The helicopter was unable to land near the campsite, so the rescuers carried Cole down the trail, arriving at the White River Sno-Park at 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.

“It was a down-and-dirty rescue — we got up there fast,” English said. “We had one deputy able to get to the scene, and we just put out the call to Crag Rats and Parkdale Fire, and we knew where he was, and we knew we had to get this kid out right now.”


On Friday morning, Parkdale Fire personnel and a county deputy assisted a woman who injured her ankle while hiking a half mile from North Lake.

Latest stories

Latest video:

Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive

The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge

Log in to comment