Saturday, July 27, 2013
Aug. 12-15, Monday through Thursday, immerse your child in the music of Africa, with four fun-filled days of marimba, drumming, dance, singing and outdoor games. This is a unique opportunity to learn African music from native African teachers, with lots of fun, energetic activities.
Camp Musango will be directed by Karin Tauscher, local marimba teacher and performer, and taught by visiting Zimbabwean musicians Jacob Mafuleni and Martha Thom. Mafuleni and Thom have been teaching classes and summer music camps in Colorado, Washington and Oregon for the past several years, and are engaging and inspiring teachers.
Camp will be divided into two sessions, according to age:
n 8-11-year-olds will meet in the mornings, 9:30-noon.
n 12-15-year-olds will meet in the afternoons, 1-3:30.
Tuition is $115.
Mafuleni and Thom will also be offering some classes for adults and teens:
n African Choral Singing, Monday, Aug. 12, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
n African Dance, Wednesday, Aug. 14, 7-8:30 p.m.
These classes are offered on a sliding scale, $15-$35.
To register, contact Tauscher at email@example.com or 541-490-0140.
More like this story
- ‘Weather Spotters’ training comes to CL
- Service announcement for Nov. 22 edition: Ned Marshall
- Death notices for Nov. 22 edition: Gerald Hopsicker, Nobi Akiyama and Westlake Cannon
- Columbia Gorge Hotel turns on its lights Nov. 25
- Betty and Kenny Short celebrate 65 years
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
Bagpipers perform at Fall Simple Gifts
The Portland Guard pipers prepare and then perform at the Fall Simple Gifts concert at Riverside Church Enlarge