Saturday, July 27, 2013
Aug. 12-15, Monday through Thursday, immerse your child in the music of Africa, with four fun-filled days of marimba, drumming, dance, singing and outdoor games. This is a unique opportunity to learn African music from native African teachers, with lots of fun, energetic activities.
Camp Musango will be directed by Karin Tauscher, local marimba teacher and performer, and taught by visiting Zimbabwean musicians Jacob Mafuleni and Martha Thom. Mafuleni and Thom have been teaching classes and summer music camps in Colorado, Washington and Oregon for the past several years, and are engaging and inspiring teachers.
Camp will be divided into two sessions, according to age:
n 8-11-year-olds will meet in the mornings, 9:30-noon.
n 12-15-year-olds will meet in the afternoons, 1-3:30.
Tuition is $115.
Mafuleni and Thom will also be offering some classes for adults and teens:
n African Choral Singing, Monday, Aug. 12, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
n African Dance, Wednesday, Aug. 14, 7-8:30 p.m.
These classes are offered on a sliding scale, $15-$35.
To register, contact Tauscher at email@example.com or 541-490-0140.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
- The Ale List: pFriem ranks tops in Oregonian brewery list
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge