Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Hood River Valley High School baseball player Kellan Duffy will be in Fort Meyers, Fla., this week to play on Team Northwest for the 15U Perfect Game Elite World Series. Top 16-15U teams in the country have been invited to attend the tournament, with games played on the major league spring training site of the Boston Red Sox.
Duffy, a third-baseman, will also be attending the 16U USA NTIS Series in Cary, N.C., at the end of August, with the goal of making the 2014 17U USA National Team Development Program.
Another player from Hood River, Chase Lariza, played on the championship team for Showtime Junior Prep at the USAAA Washington State Championship last month. The team qualified to play in the USAAA World Series tournament in Florida. Lariza plays on the Showtime 16U Junior Prep team based out of Vancouver, Wash.
More like this story
- Late night total bridge closure Tuesday, Oct. 24
- Photos from the Oct. 18 Underwood Fruit fire
- Death notice for Oct. 21 edition: Marc Wixman
- Service announcements for Oct. 21 edition: George Watanabe, Heidi Hansberger and Harrison Peters
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge