Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Local author Joe O’Neill will be at Waucoma Bookstore Aug. 2 for First Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. for a kids treasure hunt and book signing.
The first two books of his Red Hand Adventures series, “Rebels of the Kasbah” and “Wrath of the Caid,” will be available for purchase and autographing.
In addition, Portland Monthly Magazine’s Portland Pages will be on site with a photographer to cover the event.
Families are invited to visit Waucoma Bookstore to join in on the fun and for a chance to have their picture in the October issue of Portland Monthly Magazine.
More like this story
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- Pet of the week: Dessa needs ‘room to use her hound nose’
- Letters to the editor for May 4
- ANOTHER VOICE: Passing countywide ordinance ‘is wrong’
- Yes to School Bond
- Going Solar: Amateur astronomer provides safe view of our nearest neighborhood star
- Yesteryears: Women challenged at the polls in 1916
- Sustainability Awards presented April 20
- Decker, Elzinga wed
- The Daily Bread: My Life in Dog Years
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge