Monday, June 3, 2013
At about 5 p.m. on June 2, the Hood River County Sheriff's Office received a report of multiple men injured at the Punch Bowl Falls on Eagle Creek in Hood River County. Cascade Locks Fire and Rescue along with the Hood River County Sheriff's Office responded to the location.
Five men, visiting the area from outside of the state, had made the hike to the falls. Four of the men made a jump into the falls. Three of the men suffered minor injuries from the jump. Two of the three were able to walk out under their own power; the third man needed to be carried out. Rescue personnel from the Crag Rats and Multnomah County Rural Fire District 14 assisted with this rescue. All three injured men refused transport to a hospital.
A fourth man, identified as 25-year-old Jason Endicott of Cincinnati, Ohio, was fatally injured. Due to darkness and risk to searchers, operations to recover Endicott were suspended after 9 p.m. on June 2.
Crews from the Hood River County Sheriff's Office, Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Dive Team, Crag Rats and West Side Fire Department will attempt recovery of Endicott's remains beginning at 9 a.m. today. The exact cause of death is not yet known.
The Hood River County Sheriff's Office urges people not to make jumps or dives into waterfalls. This action is extremely dangerous and routinely results in injuries. This was the second incident involving an injury at Punch Bowl Falls during the weekend.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge