Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Families will gather in celebration Friday and Saturday for 2013 Commencement events.
Hood River Valley High School holds its ceremony at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Henderson Stadium, and Horizon Christian School hands out diplomas Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Mark Boyden Gymnasium.
Valedictorians for HRVHS are David Brunk, Gabby Dittenhoffer, Elizabeth Gobbo, Luke Kopecky, Maddie McLean, Connor Normand, Sophie Oswald, Lilly Paul and Levi Roeseler.
For Horizon, Kasia Nielsen earned valedictorian honors and will address the class, and James Rovianek is salutatorian. Girls basketball coach Chad Leeson will give the challenge to the 10 members of the Class of 2013.
The public is welcome at both events.
At HRVHS, seating is available after all parents and guests are seated; fine weather is expected Friday night.
This will be the final graduation ceremony at HRVHS for Principal Karen Neitzel, who is moving to Hawaii.
She said she will pay tribute Friday to Juanita Dominguez, grandmother of five members of the Class of 2013.
Neitzel said, “I will acknowledge the kindness the Class of 2013 has shown to each other. They are an extremely caring, creative group of people. It has been a tremendous pleasure to know them all.”
Neitzel, principal for the past five years, said “We have a really wonderful staff, and I love them and will miss them, too.”
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge