Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Families will gather in celebration Friday and Saturday for 2013 Commencement events.
Hood River Valley High School holds its ceremony at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Henderson Stadium, and Horizon Christian School hands out diplomas Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Mark Boyden Gymnasium.
Valedictorians for HRVHS are David Brunk, Gabby Dittenhoffer, Elizabeth Gobbo, Luke Kopecky, Maddie McLean, Connor Normand, Sophie Oswald, Lilly Paul and Levi Roeseler.
For Horizon, Kasia Nielsen earned valedictorian honors and will address the class, and James Rovianek is salutatorian. Girls basketball coach Chad Leeson will give the challenge to the 10 members of the Class of 2013.
The public is welcome at both events.
At HRVHS, seating is available after all parents and guests are seated; fine weather is expected Friday night.
This will be the final graduation ceremony at HRVHS for Principal Karen Neitzel, who is moving to Hawaii.
She said she will pay tribute Friday to Juanita Dominguez, grandmother of five members of the Class of 2013.
Neitzel said, “I will acknowledge the kindness the Class of 2013 has shown to each other. They are an extremely caring, creative group of people. It has been a tremendous pleasure to know them all.”
Neitzel, principal for the past five years, said “We have a really wonderful staff, and I love them and will miss them, too.”
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge