Friday, June 14, 2013
Climate change: ‘What Would Jesus Do?’
On June 16, Riverside Church invites community members to join in an important and timely exploration of the realities of the climate crisis.
At Riverside’s June 16 worship service Rev. John Boonstra will ask, “What would Jesus do about climate change (WWJD)?”
Boonstra will explore questions such as “what is it about Jesus’ teachings and the way his lived his life, that invites us to be ‘first responders’ to the climate emergency?”
Rev. Boonstra, a United Church of Christ minister and the former director of the Washington Association of Churches, has recently left his pastoral position to devote himself on a full time basis to respond to the climate crisis.
“It is a big and frightening topic,” Boonstra explains, “and it is an emergency that summons our immediate response ... if communities of faith are to be of any consequence at this point in human history, we must engage the spiritual crisis behind climate change, and we must do it now — there is no time to waste.”
The Riverside service will begin at 10 a.m. on June 16h. All are invited. The church is located at 4th and State streets in downtown Hood River. For more information call 541-386-1412.
St. Mark’s hosts benefit luau June 15
On June 15, Chef Mark Whitehead and the St. Marks Episcopal Church Pastoral Care and Outreach team will host a traditional luau at the church, 11th and Eugene streets, 5 to 7 p.m. Cost is $12 a person or $40 for a family of four.
Activities include a limbo contest for the kids and a “Best Hawaiian Shirt” contest for the adults.
Proceeds will go to support Athletes for Cancer and Free Clothes for Kids.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge