Friday, June 14, 2013
Unit 20, Oregon Retired Teachers from Hood River, Wasco and Sherman counties, has selected Maggie Edwards, from Dee, as its scholarship recipient for this year. Edwards will be a senior at Western Oregon University, majoring in early childhood/elementary education.
In a competitive process, she was chosen to do her student teaching in Alaska next spring term.
The following Hood River area residents recently graduated from the University of Portland:
Philip Stenberg, bachelor’s, biology; Elvia Santillan, bachelor’s, communication; Omar Santillan, bachelor’s, political science.
University president Rev. E. William Beauchamp conferred 744 bachelor’s and 160 master’s degrees during commencement exercises held May 4 and 5 on the University of Portland campus.
Elvia Santillan made the 2013 spring semester dean’s list at University of Portland. Students need at least a 3.5 grade point average to be eligible for the dean’s list.
Sarah Nicole Leslie of Hood River earned her Bachelor of Science in Biology at the 126th Spring Commencement at the University of South Dakota on May 4 at the DakotaDome.
Candidates from 41 states and 14 countries received their degrees.
Michael M. Vekich, CPA, CEO of Vekich Chartered of Minneapolis, Minn., provided the keynote address for commencement as degrees were awarded to 1,400 candidates.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge