Friday, June 14, 2013
Unit 20, Oregon Retired Teachers from Hood River, Wasco and Sherman counties, has selected Maggie Edwards, from Dee, as its scholarship recipient for this year. Edwards will be a senior at Western Oregon University, majoring in early childhood/elementary education.
In a competitive process, she was chosen to do her student teaching in Alaska next spring term.
The following Hood River area residents recently graduated from the University of Portland:
Philip Stenberg, bachelor’s, biology; Elvia Santillan, bachelor’s, communication; Omar Santillan, bachelor’s, political science.
University president Rev. E. William Beauchamp conferred 744 bachelor’s and 160 master’s degrees during commencement exercises held May 4 and 5 on the University of Portland campus.
Elvia Santillan made the 2013 spring semester dean’s list at University of Portland. Students need at least a 3.5 grade point average to be eligible for the dean’s list.
Sarah Nicole Leslie of Hood River earned her Bachelor of Science in Biology at the 126th Spring Commencement at the University of South Dakota on May 4 at the DakotaDome.
Candidates from 41 states and 14 countries received their degrees.
Michael M. Vekich, CPA, CEO of Vekich Chartered of Minneapolis, Minn., provided the keynote address for commencement as degrees were awarded to 1,400 candidates.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge