Friday, June 14, 2013
Unit 20, Oregon Retired Teachers from Hood River, Wasco and Sherman counties, has selected Maggie Edwards, from Dee, as its scholarship recipient for this year. Edwards will be a senior at Western Oregon University, majoring in early childhood/elementary education.
In a competitive process, she was chosen to do her student teaching in Alaska next spring term.
The following Hood River area residents recently graduated from the University of Portland:
Philip Stenberg, bachelor’s, biology; Elvia Santillan, bachelor’s, communication; Omar Santillan, bachelor’s, political science.
University president Rev. E. William Beauchamp conferred 744 bachelor’s and 160 master’s degrees during commencement exercises held May 4 and 5 on the University of Portland campus.
Elvia Santillan made the 2013 spring semester dean’s list at University of Portland. Students need at least a 3.5 grade point average to be eligible for the dean’s list.
Sarah Nicole Leslie of Hood River earned her Bachelor of Science in Biology at the 126th Spring Commencement at the University of South Dakota on May 4 at the DakotaDome.
Candidates from 41 states and 14 countries received their degrees.
Michael M. Vekich, CPA, CEO of Vekich Chartered of Minneapolis, Minn., provided the keynote address for commencement as degrees were awarded to 1,400 candidates.
More like this story
- Into the thick of 'thinning'
- Hood River School Board okays bond request
- What's going on for Valentine's and President's Day?
- Cascade Locks Port will rebuild historic engine building
- Gorge Foundation gains major donation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 13
- Arts center celebrates 10 years with free Kick-Off Party
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 13
- Editorial: Pool Queue
- City Council approves ‘symbolic’ step on gun control