Friday, June 14, 2013
Unit 20, Oregon Retired Teachers from Hood River, Wasco and Sherman counties, has selected Maggie Edwards, from Dee, as its scholarship recipient for this year. Edwards will be a senior at Western Oregon University, majoring in early childhood/elementary education.
In a competitive process, she was chosen to do her student teaching in Alaska next spring term.
The following Hood River area residents recently graduated from the University of Portland:
Philip Stenberg, bachelor’s, biology; Elvia Santillan, bachelor’s, communication; Omar Santillan, bachelor’s, political science.
University president Rev. E. William Beauchamp conferred 744 bachelor’s and 160 master’s degrees during commencement exercises held May 4 and 5 on the University of Portland campus.
Elvia Santillan made the 2013 spring semester dean’s list at University of Portland. Students need at least a 3.5 grade point average to be eligible for the dean’s list.
Sarah Nicole Leslie of Hood River earned her Bachelor of Science in Biology at the 126th Spring Commencement at the University of South Dakota on May 4 at the DakotaDome.
Candidates from 41 states and 14 countries received their degrees.
Michael M. Vekich, CPA, CEO of Vekich Chartered of Minneapolis, Minn., provided the keynote address for commencement as degrees were awarded to 1,400 candidates.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge