Friday, June 14, 2013
Unit 20, Oregon Retired Teachers from Hood River, Wasco and Sherman counties, has selected Maggie Edwards, from Dee, as its scholarship recipient for this year. Edwards will be a senior at Western Oregon University, majoring in early childhood/elementary education.
In a competitive process, she was chosen to do her student teaching in Alaska next spring term.
The following Hood River area residents recently graduated from the University of Portland:
Philip Stenberg, bachelor’s, biology; Elvia Santillan, bachelor’s, communication; Omar Santillan, bachelor’s, political science.
University president Rev. E. William Beauchamp conferred 744 bachelor’s and 160 master’s degrees during commencement exercises held May 4 and 5 on the University of Portland campus.
Elvia Santillan made the 2013 spring semester dean’s list at University of Portland. Students need at least a 3.5 grade point average to be eligible for the dean’s list.
Sarah Nicole Leslie of Hood River earned her Bachelor of Science in Biology at the 126th Spring Commencement at the University of South Dakota on May 4 at the DakotaDome.
Candidates from 41 states and 14 countries received their degrees.
Michael M. Vekich, CPA, CEO of Vekich Chartered of Minneapolis, Minn., provided the keynote address for commencement as degrees were awarded to 1,400 candidates.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge