Friday, June 14, 2013
As of Monday, June 17, the Event Site will revert back to its summer policy of being pump-and-dry only for kiteboarders, who will not be allowed to launch and land kites from the Event Site area for the remainder of the summer season.
The decision came as part of a new Port of Hood River agreement with user groups that kept kiteboard access at the site flexible through early summer to account for seasonal conditions that often render the Hood River Delta inaccessible due to spring runoff and high water.
After evaluating water levels and river forecasts and consulting with local windsurfing and kiteboarding associations, Port of Hood River staff made the decision to restrict Event Site usage for kiteboarders to strictly pumping and drying of kites on designated areas at the east end of the grass.
The Event Site will be reopened to kiteboard landing and launching on July 3-5, as spit access is closed to the public and the water level is raised by the Corps of Engineers as a fire-prevention measure to accommodate Hood River’s annual fireworks show.
The closure will remain in effect through the summer and will revert back to being open for kiteboard landing and launching on Sept. 15.
For the last two years, high water levels in the Columbia River meant that launching and landing was allowed at the Event Site well into July, but long-range forecasts this year indicate that river levels will continue to decline for the rest of the summer.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge