Friday, June 14, 2013
In cooperation with the Hood River Crag Rats Mountain Rescue Organization, the Hood River Ranger District of the Mt. Hood National Forest is now offering reservations for the public to participate in free interpretive tours of the historic Cloud Cap Inn with tours starting July 7.
This opportunity to tour the Inn, discover its history and enjoy the majesty of Mount Hood will take place on Sundays this summer and will continue through Labor Day, weather and road conditions permitting. Tours will start at 11 a.m. and at 1 p.m. and last approximately 45 minutes to one hour.
The tours will be limited to 12 people per tour. Reservations are needed in order to participate in a tour as the reservation system protects the Inn and ensures a quality historical presentation.
Cloud Cap Inn started out as an elite mountain retreat and is now a search-and-rescue base for the Hood River Crag Rats, the oldest search-and-rescue organization in the United States. The Crag Rats began caring for the structure in 1952 under a special use permit. Restoration of the structure has been occurring over the last decade and is now mostly complete. Cloud Cap Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building has endured decades of extreme winters and mountain storms, and has been one of the unique and truly exceptional destinations of Mount Hood, offering incredible views and access to the Mount Hood Wilderness for the last 100 years.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge