Friday, June 21, 2013
The second annual Lee/Goetz Memorial Golf Tournament is set for July 13 at Hood River Golf and Country Club. The four-man scramble is a benefit for Horizon Christian School’s athletic programs, in honor of two Hood River natives who were killed in action overseas: Mark Lee, a Navy SEAL in Iraq, and Dale Goetz, an Army chaplain in Afghanistan.
Both men were students and athletes of Baptist Christian School, which later became Horizon Christian School.
The tournament will start at 9 a.m. and the $75 per person entry fee includes 18 holes, a cart and lunch. Prizes will be awarded for the low team score, long drive (2) and KP (2). Entrants can register as a team or individually, either online through a link at www.horizonchristianschool.org or at the golf course.
For more information contact Oscar Stenberg at 541-490-6952.
n Lee was a Navy SEAL who died in Iraq in 2006 while saving his team members during a combat mission. Lee was shot several times as he entered a building with his team in a fierce battle against insurgents. He died minutes after he single-handedly held off enemy fighters as his team rescued a soldier wounded on a rooftop by a sniper. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for heroism, the Purple Heart and the Combat Action Ribbon for his actions in the battle.
n Goetz, an Army chaplain serving in Afghanistan, was killed in 2010 while helping some soldiers whose Humvee was hit by an IED. He and four other soldiers were killed by an improvised bomb. Goetz was the first Army chaplain to die in action since 1970.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge