Friday, June 21, 2013
The 2013 Mt. Hood Cycling Classic started Friday morning with the first of four stages over the next three days. Pictured here is Friday's Columbia Hills Road Race east of The Dalles. Saturday racing features the Scenic Gorge Time Trial between The Dalles and Hood River and, the fan favorite, the Downtown Hood River Criterium. Sunday is the Three Summits Road Race in the upper valley ending at Cooper Spur Ski Area.
Saturday's downtown racing action climaxes at 6:45 p.m. with the pro women and 7:40 p.m. with the pro men based in front of Full Sail Brewing.
More like this story
- Death announcement for May 23: Anna Olson
- Hood River Valley wins 5A boys track title
- Water bottling ban passes, legal questions remain
- Murder suspect bails out, gets jailed again
- On the Marks: Dist. 52 candidates talk next moves
- Women pastors lead all three UCC congregations in the Gorge
- Fresh Start Culinary Arts seeks applicants for summer
- ‘Reimagine Education’ community forum happens May 26
- Entertainment update
- Letters to the editor
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge