Friday, June 21, 2013
Cascade Locks’ Sternwheeler Days community celebration returns June 27-30.
Things get started June 27 when the annual Mountain Man encampment settles in on Thunder Island beginning at 4 p.m. These authentic re-enactors or pioneer and explorer ways will remain all weekend, demonstrating their skills and discussing 18th century ways in the great West.
Other highlights include Lions Bingo from noon to 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, and the 11 a.m. parade on Saturday, starting at Bridge of the Gods.
Eyeopener Lions host their annual breakfast Saturday and Sunday from 7-11 a.m.
There will be crafts and vendor booths, along with live music in Marine Park all weekend, and a Ducky Derby fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Parks and Rec holds a fundraiser dance on Friday, for all ages, from 7-9 p.m. in the pavilion.
Hood River News will carry full details in the June 26 edition.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge