Friday, June 21, 2013
More than 570 first- through fifth-grade students in the Hood River County School District participated in an online math contest called Sumdog HRCSD Math Mania at the end of May. This seven-day, friendly competition inspired students to have fun while practicing basic math skills.
William O’Neill, a May Street fifth-grader, was the top student, with 21,000 correct. The top 20 students together answered 71,000 questions correctly, with each correct one equaling a point.
The top-placing students were: William O’Neill, May Street (MSE); Ben Fick, Westside (WES), fifth-grade; Jorge Chavez, WES (fifth); Julio Ramirez, Mid Valley (fifth); Jose Eusebio, MVE (fourth); Nicholas Quintanilla, MVE (fourth); Cristopfer Castaneda, MVE (fourth); Genesis Acol, Parkdale (third); Sierra Lavoie, PES (third); Claire Meyers, PES (third); Noah McCarthy, MVE (fifth); Jonathan Harris, MVE fifth); Gerado Elias, MVE (fifth); Geoffrey Shoaf, PES (third); Jaedon Long, MSE (fifth); Emiliano Ortega, PES (third); Daniela Lopez, PES (third); Andrew Carron, MVE (fifth); Rolando Flores, MSE (fifth); and Lauraine Smith, WES (second).
Sumdog’s free math games are designed to improve math fluency for students in grades 1-8. Most games are multilayered, letting students around the world practice against one another. Students can keep up their math skills this summer by playing the free games at sumdog.com.
Research shows that students with strong basic skills, number sense and fluency have greater success in math.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge