Friday, June 21, 2013
More than 570 first- through fifth-grade students in the Hood River County School District participated in an online math contest called Sumdog HRCSD Math Mania at the end of May. This seven-day, friendly competition inspired students to have fun while practicing basic math skills.
William O’Neill, a May Street fifth-grader, was the top student, with 21,000 correct. The top 20 students together answered 71,000 questions correctly, with each correct one equaling a point.
The top-placing students were: William O’Neill, May Street (MSE); Ben Fick, Westside (WES), fifth-grade; Jorge Chavez, WES (fifth); Julio Ramirez, Mid Valley (fifth); Jose Eusebio, MVE (fourth); Nicholas Quintanilla, MVE (fourth); Cristopfer Castaneda, MVE (fourth); Genesis Acol, Parkdale (third); Sierra Lavoie, PES (third); Claire Meyers, PES (third); Noah McCarthy, MVE (fifth); Jonathan Harris, MVE fifth); Gerado Elias, MVE (fifth); Geoffrey Shoaf, PES (third); Jaedon Long, MSE (fifth); Emiliano Ortega, PES (third); Daniela Lopez, PES (third); Andrew Carron, MVE (fifth); Rolando Flores, MSE (fifth); and Lauraine Smith, WES (second).
Sumdog’s free math games are designed to improve math fluency for students in grades 1-8. Most games are multilayered, letting students around the world practice against one another. Students can keep up their math skills this summer by playing the free games at sumdog.com.
Research shows that students with strong basic skills, number sense and fluency have greater success in math.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge