Tuesday, June 25, 2013
This summer Hood River Valley High School Health Media Club members, along with local summer school students and artist-in-residence Allison Bell Fox, will be creating two large murals for the Wy’east Middle School stadium.
“This is an enormous undertaking that I am hoping to involve kids and adults from the community to help with,” said Belinda Ballah, the Health Media advisor.
Ballah can be reached at 541-387-6890.
The murals will present prevention messages about the use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco.
The project will be created on 72 pieces of plywood at Mid Valley Elementary School and then transported to the stadium to be installed.
There are three ways the community can help:
n Donate paint — Exterior would be best but interior paint will also work.
This can be dropped off at the school on June 27 between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., or by calling Ballah.
n Help with painting — Work parties are July 1-3, July 8-12 and July 15-19, from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Mid Valley Elementary.
n Help with installation — “We need to install the sheets of plywood before the county fair,” Ballah said. Specifically, the deadline is July 24, when fair preparations are under way.
“We anticipate having the project complete before or on July 19,” she said.
Installation will happen on weekdays between 7-3:30 p.m. and a lift will be available.
More like this story
- Service Annoucements for Nov. 25 edition: Westlake Cannon and Theodore LaDoux
- Death Notices for Nov. 25 edition:
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge