Friday, June 28, 2013
The Hood River Lions Club has chosen Hood River resident Don Benton as grand marshal for the July 4 Independence Day Parade. Organizations and commercial entries are encouraged to register for the parade, which begins at 10 a.m. Line-up starts at 8:30 a.m.
The parade theme is “Go the Extra Mile” in honor of Benton, a retired Navy veteran who brought home three Purple Heart medals and two Navy and Marine Corps Commendation medals for valor during his service in Vietnam.
Tom Yates, parade chair, said organizations or businesses may want to thank a longtime club member or employee as part of the parade theme or to decorate their entries with patriotic elements.
Parade entries are available at the Hood River Chamber of Commerce. Completed and signed registration forms should be turned in between 8:30 a.m. and the start of the parade, which stages at Eighth and Sieverkropp streets on the Heights.
Prior to the parade several hundred people participate in the Kollas/Cranmer Memorial Run and Walk from Mid Valley Elementary School in Odell to Jackson Park. Like the last three years, a “No Candy” policy will be enforced during the parade.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge