Friday, June 28, 2013
Hood River Little League’s four All-Star teams will be in Bend this weekend and next week for the annual District 5 Championship tournament. The teams — one softball and three baseball — are comprised of the top players from this year’s local league, which encompased Parkdale, Odell, Hood River, White Salmon and Trout Lake. At the week-long tournament, Hood River teams will face All-Star teams from North and South Bend, Crook County, Jefferson County, John Day, The Dalles, Warm Springs, Central Oregon and more in double-elimination brackets, with the finals set for next weekend.
Top teams in each age group from the District 5 will move on to the state contest; from there the oldest division — 11-12-year-olds — will play for a shot at regional and national tournaments.
Players for the four Hood River teams were selected at an All-Star tryout after the regular season concluded earlier this month. Coaches from each team then made their selections of who would represent Hood River at the big summer tournament.
More like this story
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
- Two quilt shows in the Gorge
- Roots and Branches: Principles set in stone
- YESTERYEARS: Cooper Spur district gets electric service in 1947
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 18 edition
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge