Friday, June 28, 2013
Hood River Little League’s four All-Star teams will be in Bend this weekend and next week for the annual District 5 Championship tournament. The teams — one softball and three baseball — are comprised of the top players from this year’s local league, which encompased Parkdale, Odell, Hood River, White Salmon and Trout Lake. At the week-long tournament, Hood River teams will face All-Star teams from North and South Bend, Crook County, Jefferson County, John Day, The Dalles, Warm Springs, Central Oregon and more in double-elimination brackets, with the finals set for next weekend.
Top teams in each age group from the District 5 will move on to the state contest; from there the oldest division — 11-12-year-olds — will play for a shot at regional and national tournaments.
Players for the four Hood River teams were selected at an All-Star tryout after the regular season concluded earlier this month. Coaches from each team then made their selections of who would represent Hood River at the big summer tournament.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge