Friday, June 28, 2013
Hood River Valley High School 2012 graduate and former soccer and track and field standout Emily Thompson recently completed her freshman year at Lewis and Clark, where she played on the Pioneers womens soccer team. As a freshman, Thompson started in 19 games, scored six goals and was named First-Team All-Northwest Conference.
As an additional nod to her talents, the forward earned a spot on the upcoming 2013 Westside Timbers roster, which plays through the summer in the amateur Women’s Premier Soccer League as a representative of the Portland Timbers FC Alliance program.
“It is really valuable for my soccer career because it gives me the opportunity to both practice and compete at such a high level with really talented players,” Thompson told Pioneer media staff recently. “It is really helping me improve as a player to be challenged by these talented players. I also feel that my game improves when I get to play with other players that are so good. It is also a good way for me to keep my fitness up for the upcoming college season and it gives me the opportunity to keep playing over the summer.”
Jim Tursi, Pioneer head coach, acknowledged the importance of Thompson’s extracurricular opportunity: “It is the top amateur women’s soccer league in the Northwest and is comprised of players from all divisions and for Emily to be chosen to be on one of the teams shows her dedication to the sport and her desire to always be better.”
More like this story
- Marimba ‘Mid Winter Party’
- YESTERYEARS: School District No. 3 projects new high school on May Street in 1926
- Are You Ready? Survival 101
- Lyle School celebrates standout science student
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Imagining a world with no winners and no losers
- The Ale List: Sense of Place lecture focuses on ‘hoppy history’
- Free tax help through April in HR and TD
- Sheriff Log, Jan. 24 to 31
- Police Log, Jan. 25 to 31
- Public Records: Building permits, city, January 2016