Friday, March 1, 2013
The Horizon Christian Hawks defeated Hosaana Christian 58-37 Friday afternoon to advance to the 1A state finals in Baker City.
It will be the second straight championship game appearance for the Hawks, who won the championship last year.
Horizon will face either Elkton or City Christian in the game, which will be played at 8:15 p.m. Saturday at Baker City High School.
The Hawks not only have a second straight championship on the line, but a perfect record as well. Heading into the game they are 30-0 this season and have won 38 straight games dating back to last season.
Matt Totaro led all scorers in knocking down 21 points for the Hawks. Horizon also got 14 points from guard Jared Davis. Post Jake Wells scored 12 points, pulled down eight rebounds and contributed three blocks.
Oliver Herding led Hosanna Christian with 15 points.
Just as they did in their quarterfinal win over Country Christian, the Hawks faced a tight game at the half, leading 22-19.
However the Hawks outscored the Lions 19-8 in the third quarter and were never seriously threatened the rest of the way.
Video and audio streaming will be available for the championship game on the OSAA network.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge