Friday, March 1, 2013
The Horizon Christian Hawks defeated Hosaana Christian 58-37 Friday afternoon to advance to the 1A state finals in Baker City.
It will be the second straight championship game appearance for the Hawks, who won the championship last year.
Horizon will face either Elkton or City Christian in the game, which will be played at 8:15 p.m. Saturday at Baker City High School.
The Hawks not only have a second straight championship on the line, but a perfect record as well. Heading into the game they are 30-0 this season and have won 38 straight games dating back to last season.
Matt Totaro led all scorers in knocking down 21 points for the Hawks. Horizon also got 14 points from guard Jared Davis. Post Jake Wells scored 12 points, pulled down eight rebounds and contributed three blocks.
Oliver Herding led Hosanna Christian with 15 points.
Just as they did in their quarterfinal win over Country Christian, the Hawks faced a tight game at the half, leading 22-19.
However the Hawks outscored the Lions 19-8 in the third quarter and were never seriously threatened the rest of the way.
Video and audio streaming will be available for the championship game on the OSAA network.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge