Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Hood River Valley Swim Team’s Chad Klaas swam to two state champion titles last weekend at the 2103 Oregon Swimming age 11-14 championships in Corvallis. Klaas won the 50- and 100-meter butterfly events in the 11-year-old boys division, dominating his competition and setting three new team records along the way.
Klaas, who also finished in the top five in 50 free, 100 free and 100 IM events, was joined at the meet by teammates Per Bergstrom, Nadia Smith, David Walker and Charlie Sutherland. Walker, 14, set a new team record in the 100 back (:59.24, previously held by Jared Cramblett since 1998) on his way to a 10th-place finish in the event. He also finished eighth in the 200 IM. Sutherland, 14, finished top 10 in the 200 butterfly and 200 breaststroke and Bergstrom, 11, placed sixth in the 50 butterfly.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge