Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Hood River Valley Swim Team’s Chad Klaas swam to two state champion titles last weekend at the 2103 Oregon Swimming age 11-14 championships in Corvallis. Klaas won the 50- and 100-meter butterfly events in the 11-year-old boys division, dominating his competition and setting three new team records along the way.
Klaas, who also finished in the top five in 50 free, 100 free and 100 IM events, was joined at the meet by teammates Per Bergstrom, Nadia Smith, David Walker and Charlie Sutherland. Walker, 14, set a new team record in the 100 back (:59.24, previously held by Jared Cramblett since 1998) on his way to a 10th-place finish in the event. He also finished eighth in the 200 IM. Sutherland, 14, finished top 10 in the 200 butterfly and 200 breaststroke and Bergstrom, 11, placed sixth in the 50 butterfly.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
- The Ale List: pFriem ranks tops in Oregonian brewery list
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge