Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Hood River Valley Swim Team’s Chad Klaas swam to two state champion titles last weekend at the 2103 Oregon Swimming age 11-14 championships in Corvallis. Klaas won the 50- and 100-meter butterfly events in the 11-year-old boys division, dominating his competition and setting three new team records along the way.
Klaas, who also finished in the top five in 50 free, 100 free and 100 IM events, was joined at the meet by teammates Per Bergstrom, Nadia Smith, David Walker and Charlie Sutherland. Walker, 14, set a new team record in the 100 back (:59.24, previously held by Jared Cramblett since 1998) on his way to a 10th-place finish in the event. He also finished eighth in the 200 IM. Sutherland, 14, finished top 10 in the 200 butterfly and 200 breaststroke and Bergstrom, 11, placed sixth in the 50 butterfly.
More like this story
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
- Two quilt shows in the Gorge
- Roots and Branches: Principles set in stone
- YESTERYEARS: Cooper Spur district gets electric service in 1947
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 18 edition
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge