Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Seven students were inducted into the National Honor Society in a recent ceremony attended by Horizon Christian School students, staff and guests.
The students are seniors Alyssa Bryan and Kasia Nielsen, junior Jenna Mobley and sophomores Dhora DaLuz, Hannah Kempf, Hannah Lingel and Anna Robison.
The inductees are the founding members of the newly formed Horizon Christian School chapter of NHS.
Board of Trustees Chair Don Hoffman gave the opening welcome and provided background information about the National Honor Society. Debbie Lingel, former president of her high school NHS chapter and a Horizon mom and volunteer, gave the keynote address.
Secondary teachers also participated in the lighting of candles which represented the four key elements of NHS: academics, service, leadership and character.
“There are many fine students at Horizon,” Hoffman said. “Appointment to National Honor Society is a tremendous opportunity to acknowledge the accomplishments of the top students in the areas of academics, service, leadership and character. It also gives all students something to strive for.”
Teacher Susan Wade did the groundwork in applying for NHS membership and coordinated the ceremony and reception. She was assisted by volunteers Andra Mobley, Shaun Requa, Janell Hoeffner and the eighth-grade girls.
Horizon Christian School is an inter-denominational school, regionally accredited by the Northwest Accreditation Commission, educating more than 200 students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. It is located at 700 Pacific Ave., Hood River. For details about enrollment, contact the school at 541-387-3200.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge