Friday, March 15, 2013
Sunday is St. Patrick’s Day, don’t ye know?
Here’s is a short list of events on or related to the annual celebration of things Irish:
Flute player Hanz Araki, of the Pogues tribute band K.R.M.I.A, joins violinist Kathryn Claire Band in a St. Patrick’s Day celebration at 9 p.m. March 17 at CEBU Lounge.
Double Mountain celebrates its anniversary — this is year six if you can believe that — every year on or about St. Patrick’s Day.
Hell’s Belles headline, with more music from Brewer’s Grade, Audio Amigos, Shed Shakers and Sid and Al. The event runs from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., with kids welcome until 5 p.m. Admission is $5 and includes a souvenir mug.
This will be one of the biggest shows at Double Mountain since its expansion project last spring.
At Marley’s Corner, 13th and C streets on the Heights, try corned beef and cabbage pasties on March 16; Marley’s will be closed March 17.
Barley Draught, traditional band with players from around the Gorge, plays a family-friendly set at ClockTower Ales in The Dalles, 2-5 p.m. on Sunday.
Barley Draught will also perform March 22, 7 p.m. to closing, at Solera Brewery in Parkdale.
Save the Date: if the Irish enjoy their Blarney, two of the more refined examples of the art are tongue twisters and palindromes — “Mac snubs Bob’s bun scam” is an example of both in one — and both will be in full flower in the third annual Tongue Twister Tournament, on April 26 at 7 p.m. at Hood River Middle School.
Comedian and World Champion Palindromist Mark Saltveit of Portland will headline the benefit for the SMART literacy program.
More like this story
- After a winless 2014 season, HRV girls team places third at state tournament
- HAHRC BEATS: November is Diabetes Awareness Month
- National Initiative: Mindfulness Center trains ‘Mental Health First Aid’
- Red Cross recommends iron-rich foods prior to blood donation
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 21
- Pitch and Pool: Kudos for fall success, and a look ahead
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Doing what it takes to be the ‘Finest’
- Overlapping ‘Pray for Snow’ parties happen Saturday
- Entertainment Update for Nov. 21
- B Gorge-us Boutique opens, shares space with Gandara
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge