Friday, March 15, 2013
March 21 is the filing deadline for the May 21, 2013, special district election.
Filing has been slow for positions that are up for election on district boards.
No one has filed for two positions on the Port of Cascade Locks and incumbent Rich McBride is the lone person so far to file for any of the three Port of Hood River positions.
Incumbent Jan Veldhuisen Virk has filed for Hood River County School board, at-large, but no one else has filed for that seat nor positions 2, 4 and 6. (To view a map of the board zones, visit http://bit.ly/WM8igo.)
So far, there are contested races in only two districts: Odell Sanitary District, where Bob Duddles, Butch Gehrig and Steven R. Smith have filed for two posts on the board; and Wy’east Rural Fire District, where four men have filed for three posts: Erik Cedarstam, Bob Graves, Rodney Hasty and Chuck Weseman.
Charlene Fort and Paul Zastrow filed for Columbia Gorge Education Service District, and Paula Friedman, Nancy Moller and John Phillips will run for election to the Hood River County Transportation District Board.
Zastrow has filed for Parkdale Rural Fire District and Jim Gray and Bob Nickelsen will run for Westside Rural Fire District posts.
In the Ice Fountain Water District, Gene Baskins, Terry Benton and Gail Hagee will run.
Suzanne Van Orman filed for the Hood River County Library District; there are three positions open.
Suzanne Vandergrind is so far the only person to file for the two open posts on the County Parks and Recreation District Board.
Any candidate interested in filing for board positions can visit the Hood River County Elections website to obtain filing forms or may visit the office to pick them up.
The clerk’s office is located in the County Administration Building, Sixth and State streets.
For details contact the Election Office at 541-386-1442.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge