Wednesday, March 20, 2013
A decommissioning service for the Asbury United Methodist Church building will take place Sunday at 3 p.m. The community is welcome to attend.
The service formally ends the building’s status as a Methodist congregation place of worship.
Asbury and Our Redeemer Lutheran Church formally united in December, and the Asbury building on State Street has been sold.
Rev. Lowell Greathouse, district superintendent for Oregon-Idaho, will preach during the service.
Participating in the service will be Our Redeemer Pastor Andrew Wendle and two former Asbury pastors, Christina Thompson Fridel and Reina Frisbee.
Andy von Flotow of Hood River purchased the Asbury building for $325,000 and will continue to lease the ground floor to Bright Beginnings preschool, the longtime tenant of the space.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge