Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Citizens still have time to step forward and be counted in a big way.
The deadline is March 21 to file for one of the many offices open on boards of special districts in Hood River County.
So far, the names include one person who has filed to run for offices in two different districts.
That’s an excellent example of public service, but the responsibility is best when spread around. Suffice it to say there are plenty of opportunities.
This spring, every Special District in the county will have one or more positions up for vote, giving the average citizen a great opportunity to get involved, and know that their efforts will carry weight.
However, at this writing all too many ballot spaces remain blank, according to filings at County Elections. Notably, the Hood River County School District Board, with three names for four positions (incumbent Jan Veldhuisen Virk, David Russo and Julia Ramirez) and the Port of Cascade Locks Commission, with two filings for two seats: incumbents Jesse Groves and Joeinne Caldwell.
(The incumbents for Hood River Port — Jon Davies, Fred Duckwall and Rich McBride — have all filed for re-election, but so far they have no opponents.)
Anyone with ideas for bettering their communities, and a bit of drive, is urged to file by 5 p.m. at the County Elections office, in the County Building at Sixth and State streets.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge