Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Paul and Frances (Kile) Stolhand will celebrate 65 years of marriage next month.
They were married April 3, 1948, in White Salmon, Wash., with Russell Stolhand and Dale Kile as attendants.
Paul retired in 1983 after working for 36 years at Diamond Fruit as a truck driver. Frances works as a homemaker.
Paul moved to Hood River from Oklahoma after World War II, and Frances has lived in the Hood River Valley for 90 years.
They currently live in Odell, where Paul is a longtime member of the Odell Fire Department. Frances is a member of Busy Fingers Hood River Hospital Volunteers.
The couple had five children: Larry Churchill, of Lewiston, Wash., Darell Churchill, of Crooked River Ranch, Ore., Jo Stolhand, of Salt Lake City, Utah, Ken Stolhand, of Rhododendron, Ore., and Paula Stolhand, deceased.
They also have five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
- An early exit for HRV boys lax, but not a disappointment
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge